How to overcome Menopausal hair loss
World Menopause Day is held every year on the 18th of October. Its purpose is to raise awareness of the menopause and the support options available for improving health and wellbeing.
For many people, their hair is their identity. It’s perfectly understandable that people feel emotionally connected to their hair as through the expression of style and colour, it can innately inform who they are as a person.
Which is why it can be devastating when hair changes throughout different stages of life – in particular during menopause. During this time, the body goes through numerous physical changes, one being changes to a woman’s hair. Menopause can lead to the hair thinning, hair breakage, or loss of hair for many women.
To mark World Menopause Awareness Day, Nioxin (the number one salon brand for thicker fuller looking hair) spoke with trichologist Mark Blake about hair loss and hair thinning related to menopause, what signs to look out for, and most importantly how to overcome it.
WHAT HAIR CHANGES TO LOOK OUT FOR?
During this time, women may experience a change in density, volume, length, and hair fall. The parting may be noticeably thinner (sometimes resembling a Christmas tree pattern on top) as the thinning spreads through the top of your scalp.
Other signs could be that the hair has stopped growing or has begun to recede around the temples and the front hairline or each individual strand of hair appears thinner.
WHAT COULD BE CAUSING HAIR LOSS DURING MENOPAUSE?
Some women’s hair follicles are particularly sensitive to Androgens, a group of hormones that include testosterone and androstenedione. During the onset of the menopause, oestrogen levels begin to fall, and the balance is disrupted between oestrogen and testosterone. DHT is a metabolite of testosterone and has been linked to hair loss.
As oestrogen and progesterone help to keep hair in the growing (anagen) phase, if the balance of these hormones is interrupted, the hair may change in density, volume, and length.
WHAT WOULD BE THE KEY STEPS TO OVERCOME HAIR LOSS?
The best approach to keep hair looking thicker and fuller is to try everything possible that could potentially help your hair, no matter how small. All of these incremental steps can add up to help address the problem.
The list is not exhaustive, but it’s a great start to see what can help you achieve the hair of your dreams.
• Eating a healthy well-balanced diet
• Hydrate as water flushes toxins from the body
• Exercise daily (Yoga is fantastic for hair as it can improve mental and physical health)
• Sleep well: during this time, the body will need rest to relax, repair, and regenerate
PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: NIOXIN NIGHT DENSITY RESCUE
We suggest adding Nioxin Night Density to your bedtime routine if you’re noticing the first signs of hair loss. Suitable for all types of hair, the overnight leave-in serum has a powerful blend of antioxidants known to neutralize free radicals on the scalp surface and has been clinically proven to boost hair density in 2 months*.
• Reduce stress: brain chemistry is a powerful element in our body and can help or hinder hair growth
• Focus on scalp health: the good news is that you can shampoo your hair and scalp as often as you like! In fact, a scalp massage is a great way to help keep the blood supply to your dermal papilla (the part of your scalp where the hair is made), and it needs a healthy supply of blood to promote hair growth.
• Scalp exfoliation: something that is often overlooked. We exfoliate our faces but mostly ignore the delicate skin on our scalps.
• Derma rollers: people have been using them for years on their face but there is a real trend to using them gently on the scalp to help promote hair growth.
PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: NIOXIN SYSTEM KIT
Nioxin's System Kits are specially formulated hair thinning treatments, tailored to suit different hair needs. Cleanse, condition and treat the scalp and the hair for thicker, fuller-looking hair.
PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: NIOXIN ANTI HAIR LOSS SERUM
A leave-on hair treatment thickens the hair from the 1st use and reduces hair loss in 8 weeks thanks to improved hair anchorage. This solution for hair loss helps to dramatically improve the appearance of your hair.
• Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT): under your GP’s direction, HRT may be one of your best defences to combat hair thinning due to menopause. Speaking to your GP is important on this one!
• Trichology: look into booking an appointment with a trichologist to investigate on a medical level
• Hairdressing: always get the advice from your stylist for what hairstyle suits you best if you have fine hair.
PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: NIOXIN DIABOOST
Nioxin Diaboost is a hair product that helps you to get thicker hair that increases the thickness of each strand, leaving the hair instantly fuller-looking. With just one use, the hair becomes more manageable, fuller, and noticeably thicker. Using HTX technology that contains ingredients like caffeine and niacinamide, Diaboost thickens the hair at the roots, whilst also protecting against hair breakage.
Adjusting to permanent hair loss can be challenging, however it is something you do not have to face alone.
Regis is here to help you on your journey for thicker and fuller hair, whether that be through products, or consultations with our expert stylists where they will be able to advise the best solution for you.
Nioxin is available online and in selected salons. If you’re not sure what would be best for your hair, get in touch and our expert stylists can recommend what is best for you.
We would love to see your results so be sure to tag @RegisUK and we will re share on our channel!