Hair thinning is something many men and women deal with and can occur from several temporary or permanent issues. Whether it’s genetics, stress, poor diet, or gender-related from pregnancy or the menopause, the key thing is to identify what is causing it so you can find effective treatments which help to minimise hair loss.So, if you’ve been experiencing hair thinning or even hair loss and you’re not sure what’s normal or how to treat it, keep reading as we may just have what you’ve been searching for!
HOW MUCH HAIR LOSS IS NORMAL?
Now don’t panic if you notice your hair is shedding, it’s a completely normal process and is part of our hair growth cycle. This is made up of three stages: anagen (growth phase), catagen (transitional phase), and telogen (resting phase). Every strand of your hair must go through each cycle at different times and it’s during the telogen phase where hair sheds, allowing new hair to grow in its place. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, shedding around 50-100 hairs a day is completely common so if you are experiencing mild hair loss, remember it’s part of the natural process. Although you’re not going to be able to count every single strand, it is important to have a rough idea on what’s normal for you, and what to look out for if you are experiencing excessive shedding.
HOW TO TELL IF YOUR HAIR IS THINNING?
There are key signs to look out for if you’re concerned that you’re losing more hair than usual. These can include:
- Your hairbrush is filling up with more hair or you’re noticing more when washing your hair.
- Your ponytail is feeling much thinner.
- You notice more hairs on your pillow.
- Your scalp is more visible, or your hair parting is wider than it used to be.
These signs can be distressing to discover as hair is a part of our identify. However, the sooner you identify the signs, the sooner you can treat the cause.
HOW TO TREAT HAIR THINNING AND HAIR LOSS?
Firstly, if you are experiencing any of the signs above and are concerned about them, speak to your doctor. It’s important to identify the underlying cause so that you can find out what your next steps are.
Whether it’s a change in your diet or environment to reduce stress, a new hairstyle for thinning hair, or an update in your haircare regime to introduce thickening hair styling products, what’s important is that you find what works best for you and here’s how we can help.
HAIRCUTS FOR HAIR THINNING
You may be wondering does fine hair look better short or long? Should thin hair be layered to look thicker? Would a fringe make my hair look thicker? Well here at Regis, our trained experts have the answers. Whether you have genetically fine hair or have been experiencing hair thinning or hair loss, come and speak to our experts. We offer free consultations where you can come in and speak about your hair concerns with your stylist and ask any questions you have. Your stylist will be able to recommend the best treatments and service for you, so you can leave the salon looking and feeling confident and beautiful again.
OUR BEST PRODUCTS FOR THINNING HAIR
When treating thinning hair, your hair care routine will be so important! Using hair care products which are specifically formulated to treat thinning hair or hair loss will help make a big difference. We have a brand which we think absolutely needs to be included in your daily hair care routine to help you get thicker, fuller hair.
Not only are the products plant-based, vegan, and cruelty-free (wait, there’s more!?) but its unique formula helps strengthen hair follicles to achieve thickness and volume.
- Gently apply a small amount of shampoo into your palm and rub together before massaging directly into your roots. Avoid rubbing into the ends of the hair as you want the hair follicles to absorb the product.
- Thinning or fine hair is more prone to oiliness so if you don’t feel enough lather, either apply more water or shampoo your hair twice, using a small amount of product each time, to get the best result.
- The shampoo will not only help cleanse your hair, but it will also add volume to the hair cuticle for fuller locks.
- Use once a week after washing hair instead of using conditioner and apply a small amount and work through from roots to ends. Let this soak in for at least 10 minutes before rinsing out.
- If your hair is feeling dry, flat, and dull, leave the mask in overnight for an intense nourishing treatment and then rinse out in the morning.
- Overnight your hair will absorb the proteins from the formula and will activate a ‘swelling’ in each hair stand, giving you instant results the next day, leaving hair looking and feeling thicker and healthier.
- After using the thickening shampoo, remove any excess water from the hair and massage a small amount from mid lengths to the ends of the hair. Let this sink into the hair for at least 3 minutes before rinsing.
If your hair is prone to breakage and dryness, leave the conditioner on the hair for the remainder of your shower routine and rinse at the end for extra hydration.
The conditioner will help to thicken the hair shaft and will leave hair feeling silky smooth.